Wednesday 23 April 2014

Stop at Nothing !!

Today I am sharing with you a phase of my life which was challenging and tough. A brief background before I start with the actual phase if my life which was challenging. I was born in Mysore in late 1980s. My complete schooling happened in Maharashtra, in Mumbai and Aurangabad as my father was working there.

It was the year 2005. I had a habit of reading newspaper from a very young age and liked to keep myself updated with the happenings. Liked most of the teens, especially boys I used to start reading newspaper from the last page. Ya, you guessed it right, from the sports section. Though most of my friends used to stop reading the newspaper after 2 pages, I would continue reading the paper into other sections. Two pages more from back to the front, and in comes the Business section. That was the time the IT industry in Bangalore was on a roll. I read most of the articles and there was a sense of pride in it. But there was a bigger picture to it in addition to pride. I was a computer addict, fan and follower. I was selected in the Microsoft school quiz on computer. I still remember the day when I completed a program close to a 1000 lines in BASIC to implement the Archimedes principle in a graphical and interactive manner. So coming back to the newspaper articles in Business section, I was getting attracted to the rise in IT sector in Bangalore.

I completed class 10 in the year 2005. The newspaper reports were acting like a gravity pulling me towards Karnatka. My family was settled in Aurangabad. But my mind was settling towards the thought of moving to Bangalore. The primary pulling force, the growing IT sector. I had a tough decision to make, to stay in Aurangabad or shift to Karnataka. I had to take the call soon as things were moving really fast in Karnataka. Finally, I made the call and decided to shift to Mysore. Mysore, as my mom felt Bangalore would not be my place for staying alone. Most of my relatives are in Mysore and I shifted to Mysore.

The start was tough. I stayed as a Paying Guest in one of the old localities in Mysore. I started in a new college for my +2 or popularly known as PUC here in Karnataka. Getting adjusted to the food and surroundings was challenging. There was a contributing factor in the form of home sickness that was not helping in my studies. I was slowly losing my track on studies. There was a lot of distraction that was pulling me towards various activities. My other activities apart from studies increased greatly. Without me realizing my routine got changed. I used to attend college only for attendance sake. After college, at around 2 pm visit Kukkarahalli Kere, one of the famous lakes in Mysore, situated close to Mysore University. Spend a good enough time with classmates, have pani puri and Churmuri and roam around. Leave the lake by 4 pm, go to my PG home, get fresh, an hours sleep and head out again. Meeting friends again and roam a new locality every other day. Snack on chats in the evening. Drop my friend home and return to my place. Have food, or skip it depending on the appetite and how tired I was. This routine continued for a considerable number of months and I forgot the intent of me coming to Mysore.

It was time for exams, I attended them, but was disappointed. This was not because I performed poorly, but because of the wasted time. The results came when I was visiting my parents in Aurangabad. It was an embarrassing situation for me. Though I cleared all the papers, the numbers were so less that a microscope would be a tool required to see them. I had disappointed my parents badly. This is not parents expect when they trust us and allow us to pursue our dreams. There was not any genuine reason to defend my scores. This was pure carelessness and utter casualness. I had drifted from my goals and the only person responsible for it was I, me and myself. I had scored very good marks in all my previous examinations. This was just not me. It was a scar not only in my curriculum record but in my life too.

My parents talked to me calmly. They made me realize what my goals are and I should stay focused towards that. I started working hard. Today I am working as a Big Data developer in one of the fastest growing start-ups in Bangalore. I enjoy my work and my parents are proud of me. There are incidents in life that make you feel weak. But we come up with our best efforts and overcome them. I believe every person can gather the strength and determination to overcome scars in their life.

#scartostar
https://www.facebook.com/MedermaIndia
https://twitter.com/medermaindia

No comments:

Post a Comment